Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Quick Knit...

Seeing as the high for this week was 11°F (and about -5°F all week with windchill-- I kid you not!) I put aside my chevron stitch cowl and knitted up a quick, comfy and warm scarf that only took about 4 hours total (I was also speed knitting, determined to have it in time for walking to class the next day). This is a great knit for cold weather because the scarf is very wide, which covers a lot of your neck and face, and the lace allows your skin to still breathe. This also makes a great last minute birthday present-- I made one for a friend over Thanksgiving break and she loves it!



I used a combination of purse lace stitch and garter stitch to knit this beauty up. The purse lace stitch is just P1, *YO, P2Tog; rep from * to last St, P1 (must CO multiples of 2-- I COed 28 stitches).


Thanks Susan for modeling :)


I used dirt cheap  inexpensive Red Brand worsted weight yarn in plum for this scarf. Although Red Brand has gotten a bad rap for being scratchy and uncomfortable I found that pre washing it with shampoo really helps soften it. 




Start out the scarf with garter stitch for 4 rows and then switch to purse lace; add in 4 rows of garter stitch whenever you get bored of knitting purse lace  want to aesthetically enhance the look of your scarf. 




1 comment:

  1. I'll have to try a scarf like this sometime! I've never made a scarf that took less than three months...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I'd love to hear from you! Post any comments, questions or ideas you have.