Tuesday, January 22, 2013

First Project of 2013!



Combining the two yarns...
Now that I've gotten back to school, purchased all my texts books, gone to my first week of class and (reluctantly) started homework, I'm finally ready to start my first project of 2013. Since being back at school it has already snowed/hailed/rained several times and has reminded me that I am in need of another comfy scarf. Because I'm a poor college student  Because I want to try using my stash yarn before buying anything new, I'm gonna to try a combo of three different skeins...  worsted weight in cream, worsted weight in stone, and a chunky powder blue. To off set the weight of the chunky yarn i'm going to knit with the cream and stone together to get a comparable width. Below are some pictures of my beginning work. The stitch I am using is called the "Chevron Stitch" (on reverse stockinette). 
Anddd color change!
 The Chevron stitch creates a nice subtle horizontal zigzag using reverse stockinette that I think looks great on large pieces (scarves, hats, blankets).  Below are the instructions on how to create this same chevron stitch (note: for the color change, I carried the alternate yarn up the right side of the work instead of breaking the yarn).


Chevron Stitch:
Row 1 (RS): K5, *P1, K5; rep from * to end.
Row 2: K1, *P3, K3; rep from * to last 4 stitches, P3, K1.
Row 3: P2, *K1, P2; rep from * to end.
Row 4: P1, *K3, P3; rep from * to last 4 stitches, K3, P1.
Row 5: K2, *P1, K5; rep from * to last 3 stitches, P1, K2.
Row 6: Purl all stitches.
Repeat rows 1-6 for the length of your piece :)

3 comments:

  1. Do you ever knit during your classes? When I was an undergrad, I pretty much only knit during school breaks, and now I wish I'd knitted during some of my classes. I'd have gotten better at it sooner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Last semester I was in several large lecture classes (200+ students) so I was able to knit during class without my professor noticing.... unfortunately, my classes this semester are much smaller and I don't think I could get away with it. Whenever I find myself wrapped up in a project though (like the one I just started a few days ago), I pack up my piece and will knit between classes (I usually have 1-2 hour breaks in the day). This type of knitting has definitely helped me improve my speed and stealth-ness :P

      Delete
  2. Nice! As a grad student now, I sometimes knit during seminars and it actually helps me to focus.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I'd love to hear from you! Post any comments, questions or ideas you have.