Friday, April 19, 2013

How to Knit the Checker Board Stitch

Back to Basics Week :: Day One

I've decided to go back to the basics and share with you all some of my favorite patterns that can be used for endless pieces and projects. When I first started knitting I thought there was only knitting and purling, and the occasional stockinette. But learning how to knit and purl is just the beginning... mastering these two motions allows for manipulation into just about any design or image.

Being able to visualize an end product before it's even started is quite challenging, and my mind is definitely not built that way though I still push myself to be able to. This week I'm going to post a new stitch pattern every day; the patterns I'll post are some of my favorites and really helped develop my coordination as a knitter and visualization as a young designer. Today, I'll share with you the checker board stitch, a repeat pattern that is reversible (always love these!!) and is very easy once a rhythm is established.

To start, pick any corresponding set of needles and yarn. I used worsted weight and size 8 needles. For this pattern, cast on in multiples of 6 + 3 (9, 15, 21, etc....). I casted on 21 and used the long tail cast on method (although your favorite method will also work).

Row 1: Purl 3, *Knit 3, Purl 3*  (repeat between asterisks until the end of your row)




Row 1: Start the pattern by purling 3
(make sure yarn is in front) 


Row 1: After purling 3, start the repeat by knitting 3
(make sure yarn is in back)

Row 2: K3, *P3, K3*

Row 3: P3, *K3, P3*

Row 4: K3, *P3, K3*

Row 5: K3, *P3, K3*     <--- change up here, be sure to pay attention!!

Row 6: P3, *K3, P3*

Row 7: K3, *P3, K3*

Row 8: P3, *K3, P3*


After repeating the 8 rows a couple times, your piece will start to look like this:



Suggestions for newer knitters: This is a great pattern to practice purling and moving your yarn forward/backward when switching from purling to knitting. If you ever put down your work mid-row and can't remember what your next stitch should be, just look at the stitch ahead of you. If your next stitch has a bump in the yarn, that means you should purl; if there is no immediate bump on the loop that means you should knit (UNLESS you are at row 4 or 8 of the pattern, then do the opposite).

I hope you all enjoy this pattern, check back tomorrow for the next installment in my Back to Basics series!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog, I'd love to hear from you! Post any comments, questions or ideas you have.